My name is April Bhattacharya and I’ve created this blog to keep family and friends updated with my journey. I hope that others out there that are facing these same decisions find my blog encouraging and informative.

After losing multiple women in my family, including my mother, to breast cancer, I chose to have genetic testing. I found out in March 2010 that I tested positive for the BRCA2 mutation. This does not mean it causes breast or ovarian cancer, but it leads to an increased risk for its development. I have an 85% lifetime risk of breast cancer and a 40% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer. The general population’s lifetime risk for breast cancer is about 12% and less than 2% for ovarian cancer.

After doing much research, discussing things with my husband, talking with doctors and genetic counselors, I came to the conclusion that a prophylactic (preventative) bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts) and reconstruction would be my personal best decision. By having this surgery I reduce my risk of getting breast cancer by 90%. I have also taken on a vegan diet. At 23 years old, I am empowered to take steps to prevent breast and/or ovarian cancer from taking my life early. I am grateful to be a woman with options that could change the future of my family.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Revision Surgery of Reconstructed Breasts

I can't believe it's already August!! Time is flying. Well tomorrow I go in to have my revision surgery. My report time is 9AM and I will come home same day. I've been so busy lately that I haven't even had time to really think about this surgery happening until today haha Now that I called and got my report time I started having my usual nervous about getting the IV and hoping that everything goes well. I feel really good about this surgery and I'm ready to get it behind me!

I had all of my pre-op appointments last Monday the 25th. Everything went well. My insurance deductible has been met and this surgery is covered, I'm not pregnant, my blood work is all good and I don't smoke, drink regularly or take illegal drugs. hahaha so I'm good to go for surgery tomorrow!

I have Emend to take again 1-3 hours before surgery. That seemed to help with preventing nausea last time, so I'm glad to have that again. And last Monday I told them I can NOT take Sulfameth again for my antibiotic. That is what gave me that hellish migraine for days after my exchange surgery.

Today I am cleaning the house, doing laundry and cooking food for the week! Please be praying that the surgery goes well, I don't get sick after waking up from the anesthesia, and that my results turn out fantastic!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Sending prayers, April! I hope everything goes great! I'll be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering how it all went. Is this your last surgery? We've been praying for you and Sameer.
Thought about you again today when we found out that the whole cafeteria in Helen's dorm is going to be 100 percent vegan! She's excited!~Donna(& Bert)

Anonymous said...

Hi April,

I'm writing to tell you how much your blog has helped me in the past few months. I'm having a PBM with reconstruction this Friday (1/27/12) due to a diagnosis two years ago of LCIS. Your blog is the only one I've found that really chronicles your recovery on a week to week basis. Thanks to you, I now know what to expect and am happy to be walking into this procedure with my eyes wide open and armed with as much information as possible. Please keep updating! I wish you well and I hope my surgery turns out as well as yours has!

-Trish from New Jersey

Josefina Letamendi said...

Hi, April, I appreciate very much your information, in 2011 I have cistosarcoma philoides in my right breast,with hormone therapy TAMOXIFEN, for 5 years, suddenly came a different kind of cancer, in 2o12, carcinoma in situ non invasive stage 0, and in the left breast calcificacions with pre-cancerous conditions, so doctor give me 2 options, another lumpectomy plus radiation or mastectomy. I decided to do the bilateral mastectomy plus reconstruction, on October 22,2012, and now I am in the processs of the expanders, after two months. You explanation of this procedure is very explicit, and I thank you very much because it help me a lot to understand the difference between the expanders and the implants. I am sure as I read you help another people also. God Bless you, and Have a healthy and happy New Year!

Abigail said...

I spent an hour to find a detailed article on breast reconstruction but the sites I browsed were so brief that I could not find the minor details. This page answers all of my questions.
Breast Reconstruction Surgery Dubai