My name is April Bhattacharya and I’ve created this blog to keep family and friends updated with my journey. I hope that others out there that are facing these same decisions find my blog encouraging and informative.

After losing multiple women in my family, including my mother, to breast cancer, I chose to have genetic testing. I found out in March 2010 that I tested positive for the BRCA2 mutation. This does not mean it causes breast or ovarian cancer, but it leads to an increased risk for its development. I have an 85% lifetime risk of breast cancer and a 40% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer. The general population’s lifetime risk for breast cancer is about 12% and less than 2% for ovarian cancer.

After doing much research, discussing things with my husband, talking with doctors and genetic counselors, I came to the conclusion that a prophylactic (preventative) bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts) and reconstruction would be my personal best decision. By having this surgery I reduce my risk of getting breast cancer by 90%. I have also taken on a vegan diet. At 23 years old, I am empowered to take steps to prevent breast and/or ovarian cancer from taking my life early. I am grateful to be a woman with options that could change the future of my family.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Movie Night!

I had really bad nausea this morning and early afternoon. I stayed in bed until around 3pm. Our toy poodle, Audrina, was a nice cuddle buddy though : ) She's so sweet and gentle with me. My chest is very tight and heavy. Even with the pain meds there is constant throbbing.

I'm pretty itchy too from dried soap from my sponge bath at the hospital. And where tape has been. My right drain that had been draining on the outside so much had all this tape and dried blood all the way down to the middle of my stomach. It hurt to move because it was pulling on the skin. The doctor said just leave it till they remove the drains because its no big deal, but Sameer cut away the tape and cleaned up all the dried blood. It feels sooo much better! Now I can sit up better too.

Tonight I get to take a sponge bath and with some help, get my hair washed. I'm so excited for that! It will make me feel a lot better. Then me and Sameer are going to watch James and the Giant Peach : ) Jared bought it for me. Thank you! I'm excited to watch it!

Sameer just made me a really yummy protein fruit smoothie. I have to up my protein so everything can heal good. I haven't had much of an appetite yet. Today was a little better. When people visit while I eat I can get more down because I'm distracted haha Everything just tastes funny with my tongue and throat all messed up still.

Its hard for us to get good sleep because I take anti-nausea and pain meds every 6 hours. I have to eat before I take them and it takes me a while to get up, go to the bathroom, eat and get back to bed. So we've been sleeping more like 4ish hours at a time. Sameer is pretty exhausted but he is doing really well. I have the best husband ever! : )

Please feel free to text, email or leave comments on here. I would love to hear from people : ) My days are long and tired and revolve around eating for the next pain meds. Some of you weren't sure how to comment on here...at the bottom of the post it says "0 comments" or however many comments there are. Just click there and it will take you to a page to leave a comment. These are public so everyone can read them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey April. I am glad to hear you are doing ok. I know Sameer is taking good care of you. I am glad this part is behind you and you can look forward to the next step. Take care and I'll talk to you soon.

Love, Teresa